Asking for Introductions
So many “marketing experts” are saying, “You can’t ask for referrals or introductions. You just have to earn them.” Well… I agree with the second part. You do have to earn them. But once you’ve provided value and the prospect or clients recognizes your value, many of them will be delighted to introduce you to others. But you usually have to ask or you won’t receive. Don’t let these “experts” project their fear onto you and limit what’s possible for you and what I’ve helped thousands of professionals do.
Strategy 3 – Connection
So we have a client willing to introduce us to one or more people, but you’re not done yet. You have to create a connection to the new prospect or you’ve just wasted everyone’s time.
Collaborate with your client or center of influence about the best way to connect you to their friend, colleague, or family member. “George, I’m certain that Laura would prefer to hear from you before she hears from me. Let’s see if we can craft an approach that feels comfortable to the both of you and, of course, piques her interest in hearing from me.”
An alternative to the traditional introduction is encouraging your referral source to invite the prospect to either an educational event or a social event. Some of my clients like to combine the two. There’s nothing wrong with that. Some clients are totally comfortable making traditional introductions – like an electronic introduction (email to the two parties). And some clients prefer inviting the prospect to an event where their friend can get a sense of your value and who you are before deciding to schedule a meeting with you. I think it’s best to have both methods in your tool kit so you can capture as many qualified prospects as possible – in the way your clients prefer.
- Set your vision for 2016 – In 2016 I Will Create Exponential Growth by Establishing a Culture of Client Acquisition through Personal Introductions.
- Then implement the 3 strategies of: Engagement, Leverage, and Connection; along with the tactics or processes that support the strategies.
Let me know how it goes? Need deeper training or coaching? I’m here to help.
Latest posts by Bill Cates, CSP, CPAE (see all)
- 7 Ways for Referrals from Your Clients Without Asking - June 16, 2017
- 2 Totally Different Closing Strategies that Work - May 9, 2017
- The Top 3 Ways to Acquire New Clients - March 29, 2017