The Rule of 250: One day when Joe was attending the funeral for a friend’s mother, he asked the funeral director how he knew how many memorial cards to print. The funeral director said that over time he found that the average number of attendees was 250. Joe asked another funeral director he knew how many people normally go to a funeral. That funeral director also, said 250.
While attending a wedding, Joe asked the caterer about how many people he normally served at a wedding. The caterer told him about 250. And thus was born, Girard’s Rule of 250.
Everybody knows 250 people well enough that they would attend a wedding or a funeral. Why is this important? Because you now have access to 250 times each person you meet. You meet:
1 person X 250 = Access to 250
10 people x 250 = Access to 2,500
100 people x 250 = Access to 25,000
“Wait a minute!” you say. “How am I supposed to GET access to those other people?” Easy. Always have your elevator speech (Unique Selling Proposition) visible… even when you aren’t working. For example:
- Have brochures with your elevator speech always lying about in your car. If you give someone a ride…there it is!
- Always have a brochure “accidentally” sitting by your front door… somebody comes into your house…there it is!
- In your boat…there it is!
- On reusable grocery totes…there it is!
- Get note pads made up with your business contact info and your elevator speech prominently displayed. Anytime you write a note or write down a phone number to give somebody…there it is!
- A lawn sign easily visible in your garage, (like you’re storing it) …there it is!
You get the point. When somebody asks you, “How’s business?” Reply with a mini-case study that revolves around your elevator speech. Tell them how you just solved a problem for somebody just like them. For example: “It’s great! Earlier this week I worked with a couple that just retired and was able to get the tax they pay on their investment income down to 1.5% tax rate. You should have seen their faces when I walked through how to cut their tax by 90%… it was priceless! Boy are they happy campers. It’s just a shame that there are so many people walking around that don’t know how to use Internal Revenue Code 72 to chop their taxes by 90%. Luckily, every time I do it for someone, they give me a referral. Like these people I was telling you about, they immediately referred me to a friend that had just retired from the same company and I’m going to see him next week to do the same thing!”
Latest posts by Mike Kaselnak (see all)
- Relaxing Over Objections Could Double Your Business - December 7, 2017
- Three Ways to Have Better Conversations With Your Prospects or Clients - November 2, 2017
- How to Write the Perfect Whitepaper for Your Business - September 21, 2017